I have been really enjoying my Christmas present! I decided to spin up some of the purple yarn that I had begun with the drop spindle and had so much of that it was going to take forever. Surprise! It doesn’t take forever any more! I decided it was okay to have two different kinds of yarn from the same fiber. If nothing else, it will make for an interesting effect when I knit it up. Anyway, below is roughly 60 grams of 2-ply. There are some portions that ended up a bit over twisted, but I’m hoping it won’t cause too many problems. It is lovely!
Since I was running dangerously low on fiber and yarn (ha, ha!), my friend and I went yarn shopping just before Christmas, and she picked out a lovely yarn, Louisa Harding Amitola, in the colorway 109 dark rose, and I offered to knit her a beautiful beret from it, which I did! It’s my usual Emma’s Star pattern because I thought the simple star would really showcase the extremely beautiful yarn the best. It does seem to work. I’m knitting myself one in the much more flamboyant 111 colorway. It’s awesome, too. I had thought that I might buy enough of it for a sweater, but I think the wool/silk blend isn’t really sturdy enough for average wear, so I’ll keep it as just a light accessory yarn. Though it would be really lovely as a sweater.
Finally, I knit a simple red hat for my secret Santa present for work, but I neglected to take a photo of it. Let’s just say, it looked hand knit, but it fit my recipient perfectly. A coworker who loves owls was sad when her secret Santa present had nothing to do with owls. I said to her, “if I had drawn your name, you’d have had an owl, but in hat form!” And then it seemed like a personal challenge to come up with an appropriately owly-enough hat for her. I think I succeeded. I browsed photos of owl hats and liked one with a seed stitch belly in chunky yarn. But the hat’s tasseled shape was too cutesy, so I combined my favorite New Directions Hat pattern with an improvised cabled owl. If I were to do it over, I’d make the head one round taller, and cable the bottom differently. But I think it’s not too bad for improv. I used two strands of Paton’s Aran blend in a light grey, leftovers from a tricolor sweater I finished a year ago. This made it chunky enough for size 11 (US) needles. I don’t think I need to add button eyes.
I hope you have gotten lots of relaxing knitting done over the holidays! I’m looking forward to the new year, and wondering what resolution to make. So much fiber, so little time…